Thursday, June 5, 2008

NASCAR, MI's Blog, and Autism...So Many Good People, Who Never Stop :)

If you’re a NASCAR fan, you know this past week’s race was for autism. But what you might not know is how much stuff goes on before the race and what they do to raise money for this cause.

Check out my friend MI’s blog. She was in charge of the golf outing as well as being at the race on Sunday.

I was stunned when Sadler’s car, (The Autism car) was taken out in LAP 16!!! I’ve been a Sadler fan for a long time and loved the M&M car (won’t talk about who’s driving it now). Thing is, Sadler is a great driver, he places high in the polls most weeks, but he just can’t seem to get a break. It’s almost like his car has this magnet that pulls the other cars into him.

The other cool thing is Harlequin hopped on board the NASCAR fast lane over a year ago and the books have been great. It was a very smart thing, IMVHO, for both NASCAR and HQ. People (woman mostly) who are NASCAR fans, but don’t read romance are now buying and reading these and the readers of HQ NASCAR series who weren’t race fans are now becoming more interested in the drivers and the race.

For me, I love it. I know some people don’t get it. How can you watch cars go around a track on TV no less for several hours? Really don’t have the answer, except once you’re hooked, you’re hooked. You know the driver’s, sort of. You know who races clean and who doesn’t. (Not talking about that here on the blog, since it’s very opinionated.)

Of course they’re real people, but it’s the glimpse into their normal lives that makes it so cool. That and all they do to give back.

So go check out MI’s blog, it’s pretty cool. How about you? Do you watch NASCAR? Do you read the NASCAR HQ books? Are there other sports you like and never thought you would? And does it cause your muse to talk to you when you watch them? Maybe think about writing one?

~V

6 comments:

PatriciaW said...

Definitely not a NASCAR fan although I get that that makes me a bit of an oddity here in the South.

I read a Harlequin NASCAR anthology which included Roxanne St. Clair. Loved it but haven't really gone in search of additional stories.

Great that they're supporting families dealing with autism.

PatriciaW said...

Definitely not a NASCAR fan although I get that that makes me a bit of an oddity here in the South.

I read a Harlequin NASCAR anthology which included Roxanne St. Clair. Loved it but haven't really gone in search of additional stories.

Great that they're supporting families dealing with autism.

Bill Clark said...

Like Patricia, I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I'm a HUGE fan of M.I. and her blog. To everyone who hasn't read her stuff yet: click on Vicki's link and see what you've been missing!

Vicki said...

Patricia - I get it, really I do. For years I thought watching cars go around a track (one that you couldn't really see everything) was silly. And then I started watching it. Learned about the drivers and their pit crews and yep, I was hooked. :) I also, love that most of the drivers have charities they work with or have established themselves. They truly are very giving people.

Bill - I'm with you on MI's blog. I love it. And really glad you were able to find her from my blog. She, her husband, and kids are the kind of people the world needs much more of.

mslizalou said...

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I have read some of the HQ NASCAR books and enjoyed them. My dad is a huge NASCAR fan, so I do catch at least one race a year when I'm visiting, but I just don't enjoy watching the car race. Then again, I love football and know lots of people that don't get it either.

Malicious Intent said...

Oh the books I could write on the things I know that the general public doesn't know about. Maybe just before I die, I'll write such a book. lol! I wouldn't even have to make anything up and it will be nice and juicy!

Thanks to everyone for their vote of confidence and support. It's a crazy, wild and as I titled my last entry the Real Surreal life.
There are a lot of good people doing the work, not just me...which is why I am so lucky. I get to work all of them!

P.S. Elliot is a really nice guy in person and always takes time with our kids. So does his older brother Hermie. Neither have missed our event in 7 years and you can always stop to just chat it up with them like normal folks. Great guys!