Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What Do Your Characters Eat?

A friend sent this to me and I loved it. I thought I'd share it with you.



The Two Wolves
One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all..

One is Evil.

It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good.
It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.


The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather:
"Which wolf wins?"


The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."


Not only does this apply to us it applies to our characters. What are you feeding them? Does your H/H struggle to be good or perhaps your Villain, does he/she feast on evil or struggles to maintain the evil inside?

WW's and PD's,
Vicki

4 comments:

Bill Clark said...

Heard this same story a few weeks ago in a sermon - guess it's making the rounds on the internet these days.

One wonders if there ever was a wise old Cherokee, or if the story was concocted by a bored writer at Hallmark after he got tired of writing birthday jingles...guess we'll never know for sure.

But yes, the basic premise holds, for us as for our characters, as the nutriotionists have been telling us for years: You are what you eat. :-)

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I like that too. I think I'll use it with my sons. :)

Vicki said...

Bill - love your thoughts on the hallmark guy.

Alyssa - I think you're kids will like the story too. :)

Anonymous said...

Great story!!!