Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Help! Will Write For Time

Okay, so that’s kinda messed up, but if you’re a writer you probably understand where I’m coming from. We’ve all been there. The black hole that sucks every second of time out of our day, week, or month(s).

That’s where I am. Between moving (love my house and yes, still promise to post pictures), work being crazy for several months, getting sick, RWA nationals, then major sick afterwards, time is not my friend. Yep, very long sentence, but hey, it the nothing can steal my time, then I write a long sentence. Kinda like bread crumbs to find my way.

But I digress.

I used to have a fabulous schedule. I worked the day job, came home and worked on my wip. I’m not an early morning writer and yes, I bow to those of you who can get up at 4:00 AM and write for several hours before the kids wake or it’s time to get ready for the day job. Nights are my time. Or at least they were.

Now it seems that each evening I have something to do in the new house that must be done. Which being sick with the flu didn’t help. My energy went to zero and my writing…yeah well, let’s just say there wasn’t any writing to speak of.

You know it’s a habit. Do it every day for three weeks and it’s easy to settle in. Miss it for a week and somehow it doesn’t fit.

Science Guy and I are almost through unpacking and now he wants to take out one of the walls in the kitchen. Although this is great, it’s also going to mean more time away from the computer. He says he can do it on his own, but really, I know me. I have this need to help thing that makes it hard to leave him to do it on his own.

I’ve promised myself that starting Saturday I’m going back to the old 100x100. Write at least 100 words a day for 100 days. Doesn’t sound like much and really 100 words isn’t much. A half page at best. But the thing is this, once I start and make it past that dreaded three week mark I’ll be back in the swing of things.

And can I add that the request that I received at nationals means rechecking one more time before I send them out. If you’re like me, rechecking also means making some edits and additions where you thought the manuscript was already shinning like a new toy.

I really do love this life of a writer, but sure do wish life would stay out of the way, and I’d find a way around that dread black hole that eats my time.

So, what about you? Do you find your time disappearing? What do you do to keep it from falling off into the abyss?

Writing Wishes and Plotting Dreams,
Vicki

10 comments:

PatriciaW said...

I wish I knew. This is my constant and foremost battle.

Lately, I've simply been pulling out a notebook that is nearly always with me and writing. Often I have to talk myself into picking up the notebook vs. reading or watching a little TV. Those are easy; the writing takes work.

I have no idea how many words I've penned. I don't even know what chapter I'm up to. I'm simply telling the story.

When I'm done, I'll type it all in and make some sense out of it, but for now, at least I'm writing.

Vicki said...

Patricia - that's a great way to keep in your story and it's so true you can fix anything you need to when you start your edits. It's that blank page you can't do anything with.

Jill James said...

I'm so excited that the grandson I babysit went back to school today. My days are now my own again. He started 2nd grade. Talk about the black hole of time! Where do the years go?

Shayla Black said...

I really thought when I started writing full time that I'd just have TONS more time to enjoy life. Um, I'm working more hours than ever. It's harder for me to stay focused.

I DID join Candy Havens' Write Workshop game. She puts out a page count every day and your task is to rise to the challenge. Some days that's 350 words. Some days that's 3000 words. It's been very motivating for me.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that you don't finish a book in a timely manner by only writing when you WANT to. Sit down and just get started. Even if it's painful at first, you'll eventually get into the rhythm.

Good luck!

Carolyn Crane said...

I hear you! Balancing writing, day job and home stuff is the biggest struggle over here, too! Good for you on the 100 x 100, though. The consistent tortoise always wins the race.

...says me who hasn't worked on her WIP for two weeks due to time issues. Actually, I got my first ever hard copy edits back from a real book editor two days ago and I've been too busy to even look at them! *g*.

You'll get over this hump, though. Congrats on the almost-completed move.

LKap said...

Time what the hell is that - LOL

Patricia - some of my best writing came from me, a pen and paper - but I suggest you start typing it in while its fresh - I'd never be able to read my handwriting if I waited too long...LOL

Jill - it's nice to have them around, better when they go home - enjoy your quiet.

Thanks for the great advise Shayla - you are so right we just need to write!!! and yes as non-pubs I would have thought being a full time writer would mean more time - not so much apparently :-)

CJ - edits must be done don't push them off too long.

Laurie<<< who was such a slacker she didn't even do a blog this week. Really not my fault it's verizons...I couldn't get on the internet...arggg

Happy Weekend all

Vicki said...

Jill - I bet he loved spending time with you. It's great to have them with you (or atleast that's what I've been told, I'm not a grandmother yet), and it's great to have your time back. Now you can write, write, write. :)

Vicki said...

Shelly – I’ve heard of Candy’s workshop, in fact I’m pretty sure I’m on her email list. I love the thought of that challenge. You’re so right, it’s writing everyday that works and until all this stuff happened I was. Now it’s getting myself back in the habit. :)

So, I’m back to writing something or editing something everyday and really in a couple of weeks it’ll be the normal again.

Thanks for stopping by!! And for your words of encouragement. Feel free to kick my butt into gear anytime you’d like. Heehee

Vicki said...

CJ - OMG, that's wonderful news. I didn't realize you'd sold!!

Vicki said...

L - You are so not a slacker...so next week you can do two post to make up. LOL, only if you want too.