Saturday, January 2, 2010

Reflections

Yep, it’s that time of year again. Time to reflect on 2009 and the decade we’re leaving behind as we embark on a new one.

I don’t know about you, but 09 was a crazy year all the way around. With the crash of the economy we learned what really counts in our lives, what we could live with and without. As writers (aspiring or published), we learned that we can still become published or sell that next book, it just might be a little bit harder. Writing the best book we can became even more important.

When looking back at my goals for last year (you knew I would get the ‘goal’ word in here), I realized I didn’t do too badly. I didn’t do all that great either. I didn’t write as much as I should have and thus my goals were not completed.

Sure, I can blame it on the day job. This past year has been one of the busiest we’ve had and that’s saying something since it’s a 24/7 TV retail show. And I could blame it on the house searching Science Guy and I did. That took tons of time, both with the realtor and on our own. Maybe I could say it was finally finding and buying our home back in June, but really, there were still six months of the 09 year left. Yes, it took time moving and settling into a new home, one that was ours to do with as we please (Home Depot knows us well).

Then there was Science Guy’s health issues resulting in a four-day hospital stay and many doctor appointments which I needed to take off work to go with him. Thankfully, he is doing so much better now.

Last, but certainly not least, has been being the president of my local chapter. I’ve been on the board in the capacity of secretary and vice president, but the role of presidency takes a little more time. At least for me it does because I want to make sure everything is the best it can be for our chapter.

Don’t think that all of the above is a whining stage or a leave a ‘bless your heart’ in the comments. It’s not. We’ve all had our share of life turned upside down this past year.

Here’s what I’ve learned from my reflections. Life is hard, it gets in the way and it doesn’t slow down for you just because you want it to. When the race picks up speed, you have a choice to accelerate and keep in that top five position (of course, NASCAR is always in here somewhere) or take a pit stop or two and fall back in your positioning.

The biggest thing I do know is that although I took a few pit stops I didn’t head for the garage. Sure, I may have been in the front of my race and ended somewhere towards the middle of the race, but I KEPT ON RACING. I crossed the finish line even if it wasn’t where I wanted to be when I crossed it.

So long post short, it wasn’t the most stellar of years, but it wasn’t all that bad either. I learned a lot about myself, and what I need to do in order to make 2010 all that it can be and more.


My first priority in 2010? Write.

How about you? Have you reflected on the 2009? Did it meet your expectations?

Here’s looking towards a new year with new goals and seeing our heart’s desires come true.

Xoxoxox,


Vicki

3 comments:

Brandy W said...

My year was exactly what it was.... waiting for T to do his year in Iraq. I had nothing planned but survive the year and I did.

I got to meet some online peeps (you and Laurie) which was almost the highlight of the year. Sorry T coming home for Christmas took top position.

This coming year will be full of changes that I'm looking forward to.

Happy New Year and good luck on the coming year and your goals.

PatriciaW said...

My thoughts about 2009 kind of mirror yours. I didn't head to the garage!

Maybe in 2010 I can shorten the time in my pit stops, or even race full throttle for an extended period.

Truthfully, I'm finding that I want to "race" less and less. I'm trying to be more focused and more in the moment than trying to give myself to so many things.

LKap said...

2009 was an odd year and flew by so fast I don't think I remember much. As for goals - yeah, well that would be a bust that's for sure. But along the way to thinking I was reaching those goals I met a lot of great peeps so that made up for any loss I may have suffered.
Now on to 2010 - which for me isn't starting out steller, but "C'est la Vie"