Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Wednesday Funny

I changed the actual name of the bank in this story to Bank. While I thought it was funny, I didn't want to leave the name of the place of business in case this is not a true story. Unfortunately, I can so see/hear this happening.

Enjoy, and I promise I will be back in writing form next week. I'm trying to get my head around beginning edits and it's just not quite there yet.

Cancel your credit card before you die..........(hilarious!)

Now some people are really several fries short of their happy meal!!!! Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die.

This is so priceless, and so, so easy to see happening, customer service being what it is today.
A lady died this past January, and Bank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00 when she died, but now somewhere around $60.00. A family member placed a call to Bank.

Here is the exchange:

Family Member: 'I am calling to tell you she died back in January.'

Bank: 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member: 'Maybe, you should turn it over to collections.'

Bank: 'Since it is two months past due, it already has been.'

Family Member: So, what will they do when they find out she is
dead?'

Bank: 'Either report her account to frauds division or report her
to the credit bureau, maybe both!'

Family Member: 'Do you think God will be mad at her?'

Bank: 'Excuse me?'

Family Member: 'Did you just get what I was telling you - the part
about her being dead?'

Bank: 'Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor.'

Supervisor gets on the phone:

Family Member: 'I'm calling to tell you, she died back in January
with a $0 balance.'

Bank: 'The account was never closed and late fees and charges
still apply.'

Family Member: 'You mean you want to collect from her estate?'

Bank: (Stammer) 'Are you her lawyer?'

Family Member: 'No, I'm her great nephew.' (Lawyer info was given)

Bank: 'Could you fax us a certificate of death?'

Family Member: 'Sure.' (Fax number was given )

After they get the fax:

Bank: 'Our system just isn't setup for death. I don't know what
more I can do to help.'

Family Member: 'Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. She won't care.'

Bank: 'Well, the late fees and charges do still apply.' (What is
wrong with these people?!?)

Family Member: 'Would you like her new billing address?'

Bank: 'That might help.'

Family Member: ' Odessa Memorial Cemetery , Highway 129, Plot Number 69.'

Bank: 'Sir, that's a cemetery!'

Family Member: 'And what do you do with dead people on your planet???

(Priceless!!)

WW's and PD's,
Vicki

6 comments:

Bill Clark said...

C'mon, Vicki, tell us the name of Bank! (I gotta leave instructions for my heirs to be sure this never happens to me!) :-)

Jill James said...

Vicki, I'm LMAO over here. Were you there when I had this conversation with my newly deceased mother's bank???? LOL That was almost word for word of my talk with them.

Even better is trying to get the post office to stop mail service. They want a forwarding address. LOL

PatriciaW said...

Now that's funny!

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I really, really hope that was not a legitimate phone conversation! How awful.

I tagged you, just in case you're interested.

Erica Ridley said...

LOL!!

Unknown said...

Hi, Vicki. I don't care whether this is true or not. It had me ROFL!

Ha!

-TimK