Monday, February 15, 2010

It's A Good Day to be Monday

Oh man, you've got to love Monday's when you have the day off. Waking up and realizing you don't have to jump out of bed and rush to get out the door is way nice.

Of course, having the first day of the work week off also means I'll be playing catch up all week long. But hey, I'm off. The computer is on and life is good.:)

Yesterday Science Guy and I went to another Greek Festival. This one is one of my favorites. The food, the music, and all the small shops set up to wander through is great.

There was one woman, an older woman, in particular whose items fascinated me. More than likely these items came from her home. They were old and perhaps to most weren't worth much.

To know the difference all anyone had to do was stop and talk with her a bit. She shared moments of time with the pieces and yes, we walked away the proud owners of two very small vases with the potters stamp on the bottom of them. They didn't cost much, but I loved the curves and coloring of them.

We ate Greek fries, Souvlaki (I liked the chicken best), and topped it off with Loukoumathes. OMG, those are so amazing. Fried sweet dough balls drenched in a honey syrup and topped with cinnamon. Yum-Yum. I'm wanting some right now. They are crispy hot when you get them and nice and soft on the inside. The honey syrup is sweet, but not too sweet. Yeah, I'm wishing it was still going on today.

The one thing we didn't have was a Baklava sundae. I love Baklava, but the sundae was a bit over the top for me. Still, even with the cool temperatures they were selling them like...hotcakes (yeah, bad pun).

We watched the dancers and listened to the music and just enjoyed our Valentine's Day.

Science Guy is Greek, so this is always something special for him, and has now become something I look forward to each year. There's something about the traditions being passed down from generation to generation that I love. I'm sure the younger teenagers who danced with complete enthusiasm are normal teenagers who love Ed Hardy and hanging at the mall. BUT, for a couple of days, they are immersed in the heritage of their families and it's just cool.

Three older couples joined our table during the music and I watched as they sang along with the band in the Greek language. Again, it touched my heart.

All in all it was a great day. Maybe not the mushy Valentine's day that the holiday can call for, but one that was full of fun memories to keep, laughter that was shared, and yummy food. Can't get much better than that.

Hugs,
Vicki

No comments: