Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It's Official - Summer's Over

Yep, summer is officially over. Not that you'd know it by the heat we're still having in sunny Florida. Yesterday Science Guy and I went to Tarpon Springs and although we went early in the morning it was hot. Sweaty hot.

I know that technically it's still summer since Summer Solstice began on June 21st and doesn't end until December 22 when Winter Solstice begins. But once the Labor Day holiday is over kids everywhere are back in school, which for most of us signals the end of summer.

It's the time to get our writing schedules back in place, breath a sigh of relief since little Johnny or Mary are no longer sitting around the house saying, "I'm bored." My kids are grown, but I remember the end of the summer vacation and how the last week was always utter boredom. They liked the school shopping, but once we returned home they had nothing to do and were ready for school to start.

If you're like me, you've let the schedule slide a little during the summer months. Blue skies and white fluffy clouds call out to you to be outside doing something. That and if you're working a day job when you get home it's still light outside and working in the flower bed or taking a walk just seems like the right thing to do. Before you know it, it's 9:00pm and you're fighting to make yourself hit the keyboards. Okay, maybe that's just me. :)

At any rate, now is the time that my schedule comes back. I still feel the slight urge to get outside when I get home for the day job, but the urge to write is stronger. My schedule will once again find it's way as a habit, one that fits like a comfortable pair of slippers. One that makes me feel good at the end of the day when I roll my shoulders, re-read what I've just written, and turn off the computer for the night.

Yep, summer's over for the most part and you know what? I don't mind, I'm ready for the hint of fall in the early morning breeze before the heat still takes over. I know I'm back on track and that's a good thing.

What about you? Does the end of summer bring you back into focus? The little ones back in school free up your writing time, or have you stayed on track all through the summer?

WW's and PD's,
Vicki

2 comments:

Brandy W said...

I am thrilled today cause the kids went back to school. Granted I don't get to hang out like I wanted. I'm being a good friend for someone.

But I hope to get on a schedule of some sort. Working out, working on a project or two and getting through the rest of the year.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I've been an avid follower of this site. You seem to write pretty well. Do you happen to have something you want to publish? I hope I can help :)

How to get started with publishing


Download your free guide